The coronavirus pandemic has made the entire nation go into lockdown. More than 40% of the Indian Population is at home juggling between home chores, work from home and children. During the lockdown, it is not surprising to face some skin & hair problems.
You are all probably wondering why is the skin acting up like behaving irritated or angry without you going out in the sun, pollution and even no makeup? There are multiple reasons why your skin is behaving the way it is.
Some of the reasons for skin problems are:
Anxiety: We are feeling nervous about the current situation and that stress is capable of taking a toll on our skin. Whenever we face a stressful situation we produce a hormone called cortisol, which causes the production of excess oil and leads to breakouts of acne. Stress leads to hormonal imbalance (high cortisol and low estrogen) causing the skin to act up. Reduced estrogen causes an increase in the androgens, which in turn allows the sebaceous glands to release more oil. So basically our pores swell up and give an inflammatory response (acne).
Lack of routine: During the lockdown, we are unable to follow a proper routine that we used to follow earlier. Our body is used to expecting something and is getting something totally different.
Lack of Sunlight: Your skin misses the sun, the sun helps to reduce inflammation.
Hygiene: We tend to avoid taking baths daily, changing our bed linen routinely.
Increase in screen time: The light waves (blue light) from the screen cause DNA damage deteriorating the skin. It penetrates the skin more deeply than UV rays even and depletes the skin of collagen, hyaluronic acid and elastin.
Read More: The Best Way to Cure Skin Problems
What you must do:
Figure out a routine: Try to put together a simple routine in the form of eating food at the same time every day, exercising for 45 minutes every day and blocking specific hours for work. Wake up every day, exercise, have your breakfast, shower, get dressed and then start working.
Get some sunlight: Try to go for a short walk every day or sit in your balcony to bask some of the vitamin D on a daily basis. Make sure you apply sunscreen even when at home as UV radiation can penetrate the glass windows and doors.
Eat Right: Although you may have cravings to binge eat or eat more comfort foods, you must try to incorporate antioxidants in your diet. Fruits and vegetables are a great source of antioxidants. Some examples include strawberry, raspberry, apricot, blueberry, red grapes, peach, oranges, broccoli, papaya, watermelon, and tomatoes. Giving up junk food seems like the right thing to do for the short term but in the long term, it can have many adverse effects on your skin.
Oral Vitamin D: If you are unable to get sunlight frequently, having oral vitamin D is best for you.
Skincare regime: Follow a skincare regime, even if you are not going out or not applying makeup.
We would suggest the following skincare regime as per the skin type:
Cleansing, moisturizing, serum (hyaluronic based), sunscreen
Cleansing, night cream, emollient
Cleansing, exfoliating (twice a week), gentle moisturizer, sunscreen
Cleansing. serum (niacinamide)
Cleanser, toner, moisturizer, serum(vitamin c )
Cleanser, serum, moisturizer
Cleanser, exfoliator (twice a week), hydrating serum, moisturizer, sunscreen
Cleanser, serum, moisturizer
Gentle cleanser, skin balm, face oil, sunscreen
Cleanser, sensitive night cream
Keep yourself hydrated: Ensure to have at least 12 glasses of water every day even when at home. It will keep your body cool and your skin supple. It will also help in delivering nutrients to your skin and improve your skin quality.
No Confusion for skin: Don’t use everything in your washroom cabinet and confuse your skin with different creams and exfoliants daily.
Ensure hygiene is in place: Take daily baths, change your bed linen frequently, avoid touching your facial skin constantly. Dirty bed linen can directly have an impact on our skin health.
AT HOME DIY SKINCARE MASKS:
For Oily Skin: Mix Multani mitti (earthen clay ) with Chandan powder(sandalwood), add few drops of rose water. Wash off once it dries. You can repeat this once a week.
For Dry Skin: Mix 1-tablespoon oatmeal with 1-teaspoon honey and ½ teaspoon of water. Leave on for 10 minutes, before washing it off. You can apply this twice a week.
For Normal Skin: Mash half a banana, mix a tablespoon of honey, and add a tablespoon of orange juice. Apply for 15 minutes. Rinse it off. Apply your moisturizer. You can repeat this once a week.
For Combination Skin: Mix together some yoghurt and crushed pineapple. Ensure it mixes well. Apply on your face for 15 minutes. Wash off.
For Sensitive Skin: Take lemon juice. Add some milk in it. Add a pinch of turmeric and mix it. Apply all over your face. Wait for 15 mins. Wash off with cold water.
AT HOME EXERCISES FOR SKIN: ( to enhance a perfect shape and glow)
- JAW STRETCH– Tuck your lips to one side, till you feel a stretch in the cheek. Turn your head the same side and lift at about 45 degrees. Hold on for 3-5 seconds, repeat once and then move to the other side. Repeat 2-3 times.
- FISH LIPS– Suck in your cheeks inside, keeping your lips pursed (like a fish), smile as hard as you can, hold on for 8-10 seconds, release. Repeat 3-5 times.
- LOOK UP- Move your chin forward and upward leading into a neck extension. Hold for 5 seconds, release. Repeat 1-3 times.
- TEMPLE LIFT- Keep your palms on your temples (a narrow gap between your eyebrows and top of the ear), push palms up and back, lifting both sides of your face. Make an ‘O’ with your mouth open. Drop your jaw in order to make your face long. Hold for 5 seconds, release. Repeat 2 -3 times.
- KISS (THE SKY) AND SMILE– Push the lip out to its maximum, like you are about to kiss the sky and then smile widely. You can repeat this 5 to 10 times.
You are all also wondering why you are having hair fall?
Like we mentioned earlier more than 40% of Indian population is at home due to the ongoing pandemic. For many of us, it is more hectic than ever before as we have to multitask between home chores, children and work from home. Due to the hectic schedule, we are unable to take good care of our hair!
Hair loss can be caused due to a number of reasons such as stress, diet change, hormonal changes or any medical reasons. You should take care of your hair the same way you take care of your skin. Having a good hair care routine will prevent a lot of problems such as hair fall, hair breakage, frizz and split end.
Also Know: Hair Loss :- Reasons, Symptoms and Diagnosis
Ways to take care of your hair at home:
- Try to use cold water to wash your hair rather than hot water. Washing hair with hot water strips the hair of natural oils, leading to loss of moisture and the result is frizzy hair. Hot water also opens the cuticles and makes the colour fade sooner.
- Shampoo your hair every 2 days. Washing your hair every day depletes your hair of its natural oils. Also not shampooing hair for long leads to problems. Many people are cutting down their weekly washes to 1 or 2 . This is leading to cumulative shedding
- Use a masque every time you shampoo. There are many masks you can make with home ingredients. The masks should ideally be applied on mid-length hair and ends. (DIY MASKS RECIPE GIVEN BELOW)
- After shampooing you must wait till your hair dries completely before trying them. This will avoid the hair from getting tangled.
- Brush your hair twice a day with a wide-toothed comb. Take out some time daily to brush your hair so they are smooth and detangled.
- Keep your hair loosely open or in a loose bun when you sleep, wearing the hair too tight during sleep (long hours) causes them to break from the roots. You must do this during the day as well as messy hair attracts dust and pollutants.
- For split ends to look softer, you can comb your hair while the conditioner is applied.
- If you are working out at home (sweating daily) then after your workout you can use a blast dryer to remove the sweat and grease.
- Try to oil your hair once a week. Coconut oil, castor oil, olive oil are great for hair and also increase blood circulation along with enabling hair growth. You can ask someone to give you a good oil massage for 15 minutes and then leave it on for 2 hours before washing.
Junk food is not good for your hair, just as it is not good for your skin. Having a protein and fibre rich diet can ensure your hair will regrow. Some examples of food that are good for hair are:
- Eggs-great source of protein, which in turn is great for hair.
- Spinach –loaded with vitamins, folic acid and iron. It is very helpful for hair growth.
- Avocado- they are a great source for vitamin E, which promotes hair growth.
- Nuts-nuts are packed with nutrients like vitamin E and B as well as essential fatty acids. Almonds, peanuts, cashews, walnuts. Binge on them every day.
- Seeds-flax seeds, chia seeds are rich in omega 3 fatty acids, which cause hair growth.
- Berries- such as strawberries and blueberries have a lot of nutrients like vitamin C which leads to hair growth.
- Salmon-also is rich in omega 3 fatty acids like flax and chia seeds. So it encourages hair growth.
- Soybeans-they help provides the protein the hair follicle can utilize for hair growth.
- Pumpkin-it’s loaded with beta-carotene which is an important precursor to vitamin A which encourages hair growth.
- Sweet Potato-high in vitamin A as well as fibre, both promote hair growth.
DIY HAIR MASKS: (all are given for medium length hair)
- Hair fall- Take 3 tablespoons of castor oil, add a few drops of olive oil and a teaspoon of brandy. Mix all together. Apply on your hair and scalp. Leave on for 30 minutes. Wash it off using a gentle shampoo.
- Hair thinning- Take 1/4th cup of apple cider, add 1 cup of green tea(after it’s been allowed to cool ). Apply this mixture on your hair after shampooing. For white or golden hairdo a small spot area to check so there is no discolouration of your hair.
- Split ends-Take 1 apple (pureed), add 1 peach to it (pureed), add 3 spoons of raw milk to it. Leave on for 45 minutes. Wash with warm water. Shampoo won’t be needed as you used milk.
- Frizzy hair –Take 2 spoons of mayonnaise. Add 1 egg to it. Add 1 spoon, honey. Leave on for 15 minutes then wash off. Shampoo with cold water.
- Dandruff-Take 1 tablespoon of baking soda, add 1 egg yolk in it. Mix it. Add 2 spoons of olive oil to it. Leave it on for 30 minutes. Rinse off. Then shampoo with cold water.
- Dry hair- Take half a cup full-fat warm milk, add a teaspoon of honey in it. Stir it, till it mixes properly. Apply on your hair and scalp. Apply for 20 minutes. Rinse your hair. Use a gentle shampoo, use cold water preferably.
- Oily hair- Take 2 spoons of besan, add 1 spoon methi dana powdered, add some coconut milk. Massage onto your scalp. Leave on for 45 minutes, shampoo your hair post this.
Conclusion: We at Metamorphosis Clinic provide facials in a box and peels in a box that you can do at home every 2 weeks to ensure corrective skin measures. Also, we have mentioned above how you can take good care of your skin by following a simple regimen. We also provide home delivery of all skin and hair products to you.
Hair fall can occur due to many reasons like genetics, stress, poor diet. A good diet, avoiding stress and taking good hair care can lead to a reversal of hair fall. Do try our hair recipes. If you still need professional care then visit Metamorphosis Clinic at your convenience post lockdown. Till then take care of your skin and hair at home. Remember to keep a little bit of patience. You have been patient all this while and this too shall pass.